Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Sneaky Run This Morning

I was not planning to run this morning - mainly due to me donating blood yesterday.

However, my 7-year old son woke up a bit earlier than normal, came into my room at 5:45am and asked if I wanted to go for a run. My first response was, "Get back in your room...it's not 6:30 yet."

After his question registered, though, I found myself out of bed and getting into my running clothes. We drank some water, downed some Sport Beans and hit the sidewalks!

I hadn't taken my son running in about three weeks. At that point, we were running for 4 minutes and then walking for 1 minute. I wasn't sure whether to keep this constant or add more - I decided to bump it up to 5 minutes of running and then if it was too much I would bring it back down to 4 minutes.

He did fine with the 5 minutes of running. We did five sets - running (and walking) a total of 2.25 miles.

I'm hoping to get him ready for the Home Run 5K in October. By that time, I may even be able to run with him on some of my "normal" easy run days :-)

No comments: