Thursday, July 31, 2008

Easy Run With No Hill Sprints

I'm still feeling on the verge of getting a cold. My throat is still scratchy. I didn't sleep that well (my younger son ran into our room a few times in the middle of the night...luckily my wife got him back in bed since I dealt with this on Sunday and Monday night).

So, when my alarm went off at 5:45am, I was seriously considering scrapping the run.

That would be three days in a row without a run. Which I did not want to do. However, the idea of pushing myself to do Hill Sprints when I feel so yucky did not sit well for me. So...I reached a compromise (yes - I was negotiating with myself...two separate voices inside arguing their case - "Run!" vs "Don't Run!"). I went for the run and did the first part of the workout (45 min easy run) and not the second part (8 x 100m Hill Sprints).

I'm glad I ran this morning. It was good to get the blood pumping again. Good to have some endorphins released to counterbalance the icky feeling of "about to come down with a cold". On the other hand, I'm also glad that I did not push myself too much. This is probably why I ended up on the verge of a cold anyhow - Half Marathon on Sunday, Interval workout on Monday, not much sleep either night since at least one of my boys woke up in the middle of the night on Sunday and Monday and they were my responsibility as I was flying solo.

As for my run - my normal 4.4 mile neighborhood loop at a 11:01/mile pace with average HR at 151 bpm. My pace is getting back to normal. Two weeks ago, I ran this at a 11:59/mile pace and last week at a 11:20/mile pace. I think I observed in my marathon training that it took me three weeks to fully recover from a blood donation - that is that it took three weeks for the running pace at my training heart rate to get back to normal. Well...Monday was three weeks after my last blood donation and voila! I'm back to the pace that I was at beforehand.

No comments: