Tuesday, August 19, 2008

More Foot Pain - UGH!

I went out this morning to try and do the same run that I missed yesterday. I didn't get far...about 1/4 mile into my jog, the arch of my left foot started hurting again.

I know the issue is that my arch is very tight. There are a few contributors:
  • Lack of stretching. I'm not really good about stretching out after my runs and my body is now taking a bit of revenge. I'm going to have to stretch more....and A LOT more in the near future.
  • Footwear. My running shoes have 350 miles in them, so I know it is time for a new pair. Also, I spent a lot of time wearing sandals this past weekend which does not give my foot as much support as sneakers and other shoes. Additionally, the soles of one of the pairs of shoes I wear for work a few times a week are starting to wear down. There is a great shoe repair guy in my neighborhood - I'm going to see if it is cost effective for him to fix them up vs. buying a new pair.
  • Water. I believe my muscles may be a bit dehydrated. I've been drinking lost of coffee, soda, wine, beer, etc over the past few days; and not enough water.
There may be other contributors as well, but these are the main ones. I'm going to try and purchase new running shoes today. Tonight I will need to stretch (and perhaps hit the gym for cross training, as getting no exercise is really starting to get to me...). And I'll try to lay off the soda a bit and drink more water.

Keep your fingers crossed... I hope to be back running in a few days.

No comments: