Friday, August 15, 2008

Olympics - Track and Field Begins Today!

I have been watching various Olympic events over the past week - gymnastics, swimming, beach volleyball, etc. - however, I have been waiting for Track and Field.  And it start TODAY!

Tonight, after midnight Eastern time (hooray for my DVR!), is the Women's 10,000m final.  Go Shalane and Kara!  Bring home some US Glory!  Tomorrow night has the Women's marathon and Men's 100m finals.

Between the Olympics and NFL Football, it will be tough to pry me off the couch this weekend.

However, I do have that 2 mile time trial tomorrow morning.  Instead of hitting the track or gym, I am considering running the first 2 miles of the 5K race.  The race is in my neighborhood, so there's not an issue of driving a long distance to get to the course.  I can jog up the the starting line for a warm-up (about 1/2 mile) and then let 'er rip!

The pros of doing the time trial on the course is that I'll get familiar with the course and the elevation.  I'll also get to practice my race pace on the race course.  Not bad.  However, I won't be able to get 1/4 mile splits (I'll try to get my mile split) like at the track, so I won't really have a good idea of what my pace is until I hit the 1 mile and 2 mile markers.

No comments: