Thursday, August 7, 2008

Tomorrow's Workout - 1 Mile Time Trial

I took a quick peek at the workout plan for the next few days.  Friday - 1 mile Time Trial, Saturday - Endurance Run 75+ min.

I am equally excited and nervous about tomorrow's Mile run.

I believe that the last time I ran a timed mile must have been in High School.  We ran a mile at the track - as part of the Presidential Fitness Challenge perhaps?  I don't remember much of the experience - except that I was close to last.  And most likely wheezing.  And most likely did the sprint/walk thing.  One thing I do remember is that the teacher wrote "10:00" in the book next to my name.  For all these years I was convinced that I had run a 10 minute mile - but now I have second thoughts.  What's the chances I came in exactly at 10:00?  Perhaps she was just being nice?  Maybe you needed to have a 10:00 or better for the Presidential Fitness Challenge and she was giving me the benefit of the doubt since she saw I was at least trying to run?

I don't think I'll ever know the answers as to what my time really was over 20 years ago.  I do know that I was not very physically fit and I was a bit pudgy.  My parents were smokers at the time (my mother quit right around that time...my father still smokes, unfortunately) and years of having them smoke at the dinner table did a number on my respiratory system.  As a result, whenever I would do physical activity I would wheeze and be out of breath quickly.

Luckily, I have turned that all around.  The one great thing I know about tomorrow's Time Trial is that I'll have a new PR for the mile!

The workout earlier in the week (1200m intervals) has prepared me - and the great thing is that I know that I won't have to repeat running at that speed over and over again.  Just four times around the track and that's it!

1 comment:

Rick said...

Good luck! Can't wait to see what your new PR will be!