Tuesday, August 19, 2008

So...I'm Stubborn

As I wrote both yesterday and today, I went out for morning runs both days and they were cut short due to some cramping-type pains in my left arch.

I decided to take action today.  At every opportunity I stretched my calf muscle and foot.  I drank a lot less soda and coffee and a lot more water.  Most importantly, I went to Fleet Feet and bought a new pair of shoes.

This time I went with the new Brooks Defyance.  It's a neutral shoe, just like the Brooks Glycerin that I was wearing for the past year - however, it's $30 less expensive.

I decided that after work I was going to get a workout in.  I would try to do the 2 x 1600 interval workout (the one that I could not start during the past two days...) on the treadmill.  If my foot started to hurt or cramp up, I would go to the eliptical or rower or stationary bike instead.

I started out with more stretching.  Then I got on the treadmill and did a fast walk for 1/4 mile, and then a slow jog for 1/2 mile.  So far, so good.  I turned the speed on the treadmill up to 7.5mph (8:00/mile pace) and crossed my fingers that I could go the full mile without pain.

Good news.  I was able to finish both mile intervals at the 8:00/mile pace.  I felt like I had some steam left afterwards as well - which was good as my 2 mile run on Saturday morning really drained me by the end.

However, overall I felt tired.  I'm not sure I could have kept up the pace without the treadmill keeping it for me.  It's been a tiring few days.  My younger son has been sick.  I have been going to sleep later than I have wanted to on a nightly basis.  My project at work has ramped up and I have a lot less downtime during the day.  I didn't realize that my running would suffer much, but I guess it has.  Hopefully I can get some more rest during the weekend.

No comments: