Saturday, February 21, 2009

My Busy Day of Rest

It Saturday - the Jewish Sabbath - so I'm supposed to have a "day of rest" right?  Here's my version of the "day of rest":  Get woken up by younger son at 5:30am, try to go back to sleep once kids are in front of a movie...but can't, go out for an "easy 10" at 7am, get to synagogue by 10am...I'm chanting torah this morning, give blood at the neighborhood blood drive at 12 noon, go to a neighbor's house for Shabbat lunch.

If this is a day of rest, I'd hate to see what my work week is like :-)

Anyhow, the "easy 10" was nice, but it was a bit chilly when I left the house (18 degrees).  Since I saw that it was that cold before leaving for my run, I put some Gatorade powder in my water bottles...I did get some slush in the bottles by the end of the run - but they didn't freeze over like some of my runs a few months ago.  My fingers and toes were really cold during the first two miles, but they finally warmed up and then didn't get cold the rest of the way.  Luckily it was sunny and warmed up (to a balmy 29!) by the end of the run.

Run stats:  10.48 miles in 1:55:30;  11:01/mile pace, 153 avg HR, 169 max HR.

I decided not to do 12 miles today on my long run.  First of all, I was a bit tired.  Secondly, it was on the cold side.  Lastly (or realistically), I think I just wimped out.  Anyhow, I think I'm going to go with this week being week 2 of the training program - which means that the longest run I'll do before the Half Marathon is 15 miles.  That seems more appropriate than doing a 17 miler...

No comments: