Saturday, August 15, 2009

Quick Post From Florida!

I don't have too much time to post - not much internet access in our digs down here :-)

We left on Thursday morning - hit the road at 7:15am and made it to the hotel in Jacksonville, FL by 9pm. This included three long stops (breakfast, lunch and dinner), a few short stops (bathrooms and gas ups), a traffic jam in North Carolina due to construction and a bunch of patches of driving rain in South Carolina and Georgia (and two glorious rainbows south of Savannah!). Only one major child meltdown in the entire 14 hours - I'm very lucky that the kids are great car travelers.

We got to Boynton Beach around lunch time on Friday and have enjoyed being here in my parent's house here. The kids have slept much better than in the hotel (which gives me a bit of anxiety for Disney World the next three nights...)

Tomorrow morning we leave for Disney World! Hooray!!!

I got a run in this morning. Early. Like before the sun came up...thankfully.

The plan was to do 14 miles. When I stepped outside at 5:30am, it was hot and soupy already. I checked on the NOAA site and saw it was 84 degrees and 70% humidity. I was going to run a 7 mile loop twice, with a Gatorade stop at the house, but as I got started, I knew that was not going to happen. By mile 3 my shirt was already soaked through. By mile 5, I wasn't sure I would be able to make it through the first 7 mile loop without walking.

I eventually made it home. But there would be no 2nd loop. Instead of 14 miles, I settled for 7. UGH!

All I can say is that I'm happy the marathon is in New York in November - and not in Florida in August!!!

I'm not sure I'll be running at Disney. There's a fitness center at the hotel, but I may be too exhausted. If I don't run over the next few days, I'm going to have to re-build up my base again - especially as I'm supposed to get in some higher mileage weeks now.

I likely won't be blogging for a few days. Speak to you all when I get back from Florida!!!

No comments: