Tuesday, April 1, 2008

My Foot Is Feeling Better

This morning was a 5 miler - in the gym on the treadmill. I could have run outside - there was a misty rain and it wasn't too cold - but by 5:20am I already had dressed for the gym and was on my way out, so I decided to go with it. I also was going to wear the new shoes, and didn't want to soak them on my first run...

My foot was still a bit tender, so I started off slow. The first 5 minutes of the workout were tough, but then I got in a groove. Everything started to feel really good - including my foot.

At around 3 miles, I started to get some pain in my foot again. Darn! I said to myself, "I'll run another mile and if the pain is still there I'll stop...I'm not going to run less than 4 miles." A few minutes later the pain was gone. Hooray!

At around 3.5 miles into the run I needed to slow down to keep my heart rate down. I believe I may have started to overheat a bit. One thing I hate about Bally Total Fitness is that they keep the gym soooo hot! At Fitness First (my previous gym) they kept the temperatures a lot cooler and had fans situated near the cardio equipment. I was soaked after my 5 mile run this morning - and it wasn't due to the rain outside. It's probably good that I'm training in this environment just in case the marathon is on a hot day. I already have the cold weather running down - that's for sure.

I finished the 5 miles in 55:41 - an 11:09/mile pace with an average HR of 149. I'm going to do some speedwork tomorrow and hope to gain back some of the pace that I have lost over the past few weeks (I believe it started after I gave blood).

One other note - it is now April. My marathon is officially next month. WOW!!!!

No comments: