Monday, April 21, 2008

Surviving Seder

Yesterday we were having 25 people for seder number two.  Eight of them under the age of 6.  I don't think I was prepared for the amount of noise and chaos that would be in my house from the hours of 5pm to 8:30pm.

Just preparing the house to hold a dinner for 25 is crazy in itself.  We strung together our dining room table with both leaves inserted, an 8' folding table and two smaller "bridge" tables.  My wife talked me into doing disposable plates and utensils (the plastic-y ones that we bought in bulk at Sam's Club) instead of using our nice Passover dishes...excellent call!  We had enough dishes to clean after everyone left just in serving pieces and soup bowls...I couldn't have imagined washing 40 dishes and silverware as well.

All of this chaos would have been enough!  (Dayeinu - right?)  However, early in the morning - while preparing stuffing for the turkey - I made a pretty good slice into my left thumb.  OUCH!!!  I put pressure on it and it finally stopped bleeding about 10 minutes later.  The rest of the day it was bandaged up. However, any time during the day I needed to use that thumb, I got a "zing" up my arm.  I went to my doctor first thing this morning and she told me that it should heal fine, however, I got a tetanus shot.  I had no idea when my last one was.  I said "it may have been 8 years ago before I went to live in Israel...but I wasn't sure".  So my doctor said it was time for me to get one.

So, now I have a cut up thumb and a pain in the arm.  Luckily, it's a low mileage week!

Tomorrow is a 4 mile run and it has been very rainy lately.  I'm not sure if I'll brave it and do the run outside or go to the gym and run on the dreadmill.  I'm supposed to keep the bandage on my thumb dry, so that may be the deciding factor to hit the gym.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should scope out the course. Otherwise, you might find yourself in the lead and not knowing where to go.

Mike Fox said...

Yes...and then my alarm will go off.

There will most likely be about 1,300 marathoners ahead of me (field of 1,500), so there is no chance that I'll be in the lead.

Although, this reminds me of something my son asked me before one of the Half Marathons I ran last year. The night before the race he says to me, "Abba, do you think you'll win?" That cracked me up!

Anonymous said...

Well, at least you'll be able to follow others, thereby reducing the chance of getting lost. Good luck!