Thursday, April 10, 2008

Post-Intervals Easy Runs ROCK!!!

I have noticed a trend. The easy run that follows my speedwork - most notably interval work - is always an awesome run.

This morning was no exception. Never mind that the weather was great - high-40s and a bit foggy...and no wind! My pace was a bit faster than Monday's easy run and my average heart rate was a bit lower - at 149 which is exactly where it should be. So....as much as I don't like going to the track - I definitely see the results from those workouts.

Another trend I'm seeing - it takes a good 3-4 weeks after I give blood to get back to my previous level of aerobic fitness. Within a few days I can run without problems...but my pace and HR don't stabilize back to where they were until 3-4 weeks later.

I decided to bring my iPod on this morning's run - I'm starting to run without it a bit more as I will not be running with it on race day. I listened to two albums from the late 70s / early 80s: Joe Jackson's Look Sharp! and Elvis Costello's My Aim Is True.

Good tunes, good run - what a way to start the day!

1 comment:

Rick said...

Awesome runs are so, well... awesome. Your gonna rock your run, Mike. You've put a lot of extra work into it that will pay big dividends.

Whew! I'm glad I didn't make it to give blood a couple of weeks ago as I was supposed to have. I had a notion it HAD to adversely affect our running, but I had no idea to what extent.

My roomate in college got me hooked on Elvis. Good stuff.

Have a great weekend, Mike.