Thursday, May 8, 2008

First Post-Marathon Run (Or An Attempt At One...)

I tried to go for a run this morning. My legs felt a lot better yesterday - almost no soreness anymore and full range of motion - so I thought I was ready.

I wasn't planning on running. I was out late last night - I had a long day with work, an Israeli Dance teaching gig (today is Israel's Independence Day!) and then rehearsal for the dance troupe, and after all that I went out for a late dinner and a few beers with a neighbor of mine.

For some reason, I woke up at 5am anyhow and could not get back to sleep. So I decided to do what I have been used to doing over the past 5 months...go out for a run.

I was going to try to take it as easy as possible. I was going to do my 3 mile lake loop that I used to run all the time before ramping up the mileage for the marathon. I kept my HR in the 140s or lower as much as possible. However, I just wasn't feeling it. It felt like I was trying to force myself to run.

After about 1.5 miles, my right leg started to hurt a bit. Around the area of lower hamstring on the IT band side of the leg. So I decided to walk the rest of the way. I cut the run short - I normally run around the lake 2 times, but today I only did it once since I was walking.

I'm not sure if I didn't fare well today due to the lack of sleep (under 5 hours), too much alcohol last night (3 16oz black and tans...that's more than I normally drink in two weeks) or if it is still too soon for me to be running after the marathon.

I'll take another day or two off and try another short, easy run again this weekend.

No comments: