Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I'm HUNGRY!!!

Yesterday's Total Calorie Intake: 1736

I felt HUNGRY yesterday. It was a tough reminder to my body that I was going from a "maintain your weight while logging 35 running miles a week" diet back down to a "lose weight while logging 10 running miles a week" diet.

I pretty much felt hungry the entire day. However, I made it through; and I know that today will be easier. And so will tomorrow. By next week it will feel like a natural way to eat. The pounds will gradually come off and then in about 6 weeks I'll be able to bump the calories up again.
-----------

I also went for a run this morning. It was a beautiful morning - crisp and clear, about 45 degrees when I stepped outside the door at 5:45am. The sun was starting to rise, so I decided to go on my 3.25 mile lake loop (I don't like running this route in the dark).

I knew that my run was going to be slow - or my heart rate would be elevated at a normal pace - since I donated blood on Monday. I ended up keeping an 11min/mile pace for most of the run and my HR was in the high-150s/low-160s which is about 10 bpm higher than what it normally should be at this pace for me.

There is definitely a good amount of "rust" that I need to get out of my system before logging the miles again. My knees started hurting again during the run - this time about 2.5 miles into the route. On my right knee, the pain was behind the knee - in the lower hamstring area. On my left knee, the pain was on the front in the lower/outside corner of the knee. I ended up walking the last quarter mile to give my knees a break. Within 10 minutes of me being back in the house, the pain went away...so I'm thinking this is just something that is being aggravated with the motion and pounding and not a full-time injury. I may try to ice these spots later, though. Some stretching would do me good as well.

It was wonderful to be running again - even if it was just for 3 miles. I'm looking forward to getting in a rhythm of running 3 to 4 times a week again!

No comments: