Thursday, May 1, 2008

My Final Training Run

Today was my final training run - 2 miles.  The next two days are complete rest from running.

Although most experts say you shouldn't try anything new the week of the race, I did do something different for this run.

For the past 18 weeks and over 430 miles, I have always run alone.  Today, I decided to get coverage for the kids and run my last training run with my wife Sherry.

Sherry started running last summer with a goal of completing our neighborhood 5K.  Here's a picture of her with our two boys before her race.



Before she started her training, she didn't get running.  Wasn't it boring?  What was the point?  Of course, once she started, she understood.  She started craving her running time...we would take turns running on different days of the week so the other one could watch the kids.  Due to this situation, Sherry and I have only run together once or twice.  About halfway into our run we both asked "why don't we do this more often?"

Anyhow, it was wonderful to be able to share my final training run with my biggest cheerleader.  Without her support, I wouldn't have made it this far.

However, now that she knows the amount of time and commitment that goes into marathon training, I know it will be a difficult sell if I want to do this again!

1 comment:

Rick said...

What a blessing, Mike. I did my final pre-marathon run with my wife, Tammy, as well. It was one of the best runs I have ever had the pleasure of going on.

Have a blessed weekend and race. I'll be thinking about you. Even if you don't post a report right away, please do post your unofficial results as soon as you can.

Good luck my running Wolverine friend!