Sunday, February 3, 2008

Avoiding the Super Bowl Binge...

Yesterday's Total Calorie Intake:  2655
(Exercise Calories:  1258)
Total Net Calories:  1397

Tonight is the Super Bowl.  We have an annual tradition to get together with two other families (the three of us were friends at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor), and we always serve lasagna and one of the families brings a cake that is frosted like a football field.  Of course there is always chips, beer and other goodies as well.

I will most likely not count my calories so strictly today (i.e. tonight).  I've had a good week so far - especially yesterday with the 10.7 mile run!  I also will have my normal Sunday cross-training routine of the elliptical machine in the morning and two hours of Israeli Dancing (I'm holding the group in the afternoon today so that it does not conflict with the Super Bowl).   So I'm not too concerned about the weigh in tomorrow.

The one thing I AM concerned with is the fact that I am having my cholesterol checked tomorrow.  I go to have my cholesterol checked every 6 months to monitor since I had very elevated cholesterol for my age and a family history of high cholesterol and heart disease (more about this in a later post...).  As a result, I will keep to one serving of lasagna and I'll try to stay away from any other foods that are high in fat.  Worse comes to worse I'll have to consume more low-fat items - like beer - to fill up.  Woe is me...

BTW - for those of you who are trying to lose weight as well and have a choice of soda or beer during the game, choose either diet soda (no calories) or light beer (normally 100-150 calories per bottle...Amstel Light is only 95 calories per bottle).  One 20 ounce bottle of regular soda has about 240 calories (that's equivalent to 2 1/2 bottles of Amstel Light!).

No comments: