Thursday, February 7, 2008

Cholesterol Results In - WOW!

On Monday morning when I went to get my cholesterol checked, the doctor told me I could call in on Thursday afternoon to get the results (she also mails them to me, but I like to get them sooner rather than later!).

I had my lowest Total Cholesterol level EVER! 146. My Cholesterol Ratio is 3.3

Exactly four years ago, my Total Cholesterol level was 263. My Cholesterol Ratio was 6.0

When I received my cholesterol numbers in four years ago, I weighed 184 pounds. My doctor put me on a strict diet - limiting my calories to lose weight and limiting my fat intake to 20% of my calories. Three months later, I had lost 24 pounds and my Total Cholesterol was 163 (cholesterol ratio of 4.3).

Since that time I have continued to get my cholesterol checked every 6 months to ensure my levels are good. My LDL (or "bad" cholesterol) continued to slowly creep up for a year following the initial drop in Jan 2004, so I was put on a low dosage of Zocor in mid-'05.

Of course, running has also helped elevate my HDL (or "good" cholesterol).

No comments: