Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Running On Fumes??

Yesterday's Total Calorie Intake:  2117
(Exercise Calories:  391)
Total Net Calories:  1726

This morning was my mid-week long run which I have been using for my speedwork.  I planned to do Yasso 800s again - 6 intervals as part of a 6 mile workout.

I went to the gym not knowing what to expect since I did not get much sleep last night.  First, I went to bed later than I wanted to - after putting the kids to bed I had to pack for my business trip to Nashville (leaving this evening) and then log back into work to get some things done for the meeting.  At around 2:30am my 2 year old started crying and woke me up...I went into his room and calmed him down and we all eventually fell back asleep....for a little while longer, as my alarm went off at 5;10am so I could hit the gym and get my 6 miles in before getting back to work.  (I later on had a realization that since I'll be in the Central time zone later today, I really woke up at 4:10am...)

I was not expecting much from my workout so I started off slowly...and I KICKED BUTT!  Amazing!!!!  My half mile splits were 4:24, 4:24, 4:21, 4:22, 4:16 and 4:17.  My heart rate did not go above 170 until mid-way through the 5th interval and I recovered fully to below 150 bpm on each of my 1/4 mile post-interval recoveries.

It just goes to show you that you never know how you're going to do until you go out and do it!

I threw a random mix of songs into my iPod this morning.  One really appropriate song for running on the treadmill was the Talking Heads "Road To Nowhere".  I can't wait until it gets warmer outside and lighter earlier so I can enjoy the road instead of the treadmill...

No comments: